[kde-linux] 'End Session' problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 9 19:12:17 UTC 2008

On Saturday 09 February 2008 18:36:47 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 09 February 2008 16:58:49 James Loughner wrote:
> > Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > You could be right, though.  One thing is clear, the same distro
> > > performs perfectly on my old, non-ATi, laptop.  I had no problem with
> > > the 2007 and 2007.1 versions of Mandriva, but then the Radeon X600
> > > wasn't said to be supported by the kernel drivers, so I would have been
> > > using a simpler video driver.  I guess the only way to test the theory
> > > is to find out how to load the old (vesa?) driver instead of the
> > > current one.  I'm pushed for time at the moment, but I'll try to look
> > > into that over the next day or two.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > Just edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and make vesa the driver.
>
> OK, tried it, and proved the point.  The display was, frankly, awful, but
> the 'End Session' worked perfectly.  Time to report a bug.

James take a look at Bug #33095 at http://qa.mandriva.com/

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, changing splash=silent to splash=verbose.  It's not
clear why this works - the bug seems to be flgrx crashing on the way out, so
I don't see the connection - but several people have confirmed that it worked
for them.