[kde-linux] Starting KDE4

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Feb 6 15:23:53 UTC 2008

Since Debian puts it in /usr/bin, /usr/lib/kde4, most of all this path stuff
is not the critical factor. As I said in recent posts, at Debian's startkde
needs root privileges. Otherwize, everything from kcminit, plasma, knotify,
et al, crash out. If the old kde is on the path (mine is in /opt/kde3.5...),
kdesktop and kicker will kick in and be usable except for all those knotify
crashes (one can move it out of the way), but this is not a real kde4
session.

Visa-versa, running a kde3 session with the kde4 paths leading will bring up a
perfectly OK kde3 session. Plasma will execute and crash. Live and learn.

Being able to have both a kde3.desktop and kde4.desktop in Xsessions is not
enough. PATHs may need to be switched, though kde4 on Debian will run without
changing the paths. But it needs root privileges and I have only gotten it
started from a "failsafe" session by typing sudo /usr/bin/startkde in an
xterm.