[kde-linux] Phonon + non-native KDE apps

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Dec 11 20:04:54 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 December 2008, Tanja Petri wrote:

> Ok, thanks, that's at least an explanation I can understand. So basically
> Phonon sends sound to xine, and xine sends it to the soundcard or
> Pulseaudio, right?

Almost correct.
Phonon does not send any sound anywhere, it tells the backend (which could be
xine) to do play something.

> I installed Pulseaudio, and it works with all non-KDE4 applications. But I
> can't figure out how to get KDE sound to pulseaudio.
> I found the xine section on this guide:
> http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
> and edited the ~/.xine/config file accordingly. I tested the setup with
> xine-ui and kaffeine , and I re-installed amarok 1.4 which uses xine
> directly - everything works. So it can't be the xine engine.

Maybe Phonon is configured to use a different backend, GStreamer perhaps, and
that one's config is not suitable for your audio mixing setup (Pluse Audio,
ALSA mixing, hardware mixing, etc)

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring