[kde-linux] Plasma Applets

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Thu Dec 4 22:14:11 UTC 2008

I have an applet which seems to work fine in the plasmoid viewer.

If I add it to the panel or the desktop, it will also work but will crash
plasma on next login. It will sometimes crash when it is triggered by the
events it monitors as well but usually will work on first install.

If I leave the viewer up for a period of time, it will sometimes crash there
as well. This time I get a lengthy dump. Here is a tiny excerpt:

X Error: BadGC (invalid GC parameter) 13
  Major opcode: 60 (X_FreeGC)
  Resource id:  0x3a032e2
X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 179
  Extension:    156 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode: 7 (RenderFreePicture)
  Resource id:  0x3a031d1
X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
  Major opcode: 54 (X_FreePixmap)
  Resource id:  0x3a031d0
X Error: RenderBadPicture (invalid Picture parameter) 179
  Extension:    156 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode: 7 (RenderFreePicture)
  Resource id:  0x3a032db

I am running KDE4 from experimental/backports and Debian Sid.
I have an older mx400 nvidia card.

I had thought that the multithreadedness of the applet was the problem but at
"idle", only one background thread is going. That nvidia is most likely the
culprit. The viewer might be OK if I do not resize it.

I obviously cannot post the applet until I figure this out. What about any kde
desktop graphics options? The images involved are going through the plasma/svg
module and are all stock oxygen images..

Two other problems:

1. I cannot get icons into pushbuttons, et al. If I do this in the qt4-
designer, various qPixmap functions are called and the build cannot find them.
If I do it in the code using QIcon or KIcon directly with xpm paths or icon
names the thing crashes at the setIcon call! The window icon of the dialog CAN
be set and shows on the taskbar (but not on the dialog title bar--size?)

2. The popupPosition of the dialog box is horizontally aligned to the applet
position but is not right above the applet but higher on the screen. Certainly
still usable but not correct.

Any ideas?