[kde-linux] Printer Dialog by OpenOffice and Firefox3

Max K. overlord_3d at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 19 11:00:59 UTC 2008

Hello,

In our Fedora network, we're still using LPR for printing - it works fine with the tools using the "old" kprinter menu. But in the OpenOffice since the version 2.3, there is a fully different looking menu, like this: http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/7035/printerew5.jpg. And as everybody can see ;-) , the name of our printer doesn't appear in this menu - only the entry "Print to file". It's not a big problem since OOffice has the "Export to PDF"-tool, but now I've seen that Firefox3 has the same menu, too. So it's getting more and more difficult to print something with LPR...

(By the way: In OpenOffice, there's a tool named "spadmin" for installing and configuring the printer - so if I use it with the option "Generic printer", the test page is printed fine. But after configuring, there's still no printer listed in the print menu. Is this menu eventually designed only for CUPS?)

I asked about this in many forums, bot nobody seems to know anything. Maybe anyone here does? Please help!

Thanks,

Max