[kde-linux] kde4.1 and xrandr

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 16:55:00 UTC 2008

2008/8/7 <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>

> From: Beso <givemesugarr at gmail.com>
> > 2008/8/6 <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>
> >
> > > I'm beginning to suspect that many of the behavioral problems I'm
> having w/
> > > kde 4.1 (kubuntu) are related to running on an intel 915 graphics
> chip/i810
> > > driver and two monitors; a laptop 1024x768 and external 1280x1024.
> > >
> > > I use xrandr to config a large virtual desktop spanning both monitors
> > > (2304x1024), which works fine under kde3.5.9 and xfce, but 4.1 can't
> seem to
> > > handle this configuration; some pretty consistent bugs as well as some
> > > inconsistent ones.
> > >
> > > Things seem better behaved if I run on one or the other monitor, but
> even
> > > cloning the output to both seems to cause some problems, probably
> because of
> > > the different screen sizes.
> > >
> > > Is there any work being done on getting 4.x to play nice with xrandr
> and
> > > dual monitors?  Is there a timetable for completion?  Does anyone know
> if
> > > this is a 4.1 problem or a kubuntu problem?
> > >
> > > Paul
> > >

> > try using the system configuration applet of 4.1 to set up the mode.
> maybe
> > kde4.1 needs it to be set that way.
> >

> What is the system configuration applet?  /usr/lib/kde4/bin/systemsettings
> -> Display?
> When I open that module it completely messes up my display (for any X
> session) from which I can only recover by killing X (i.e., it's so messed up
> that I can't use xrandr on the cli to recover).
> Paul

yes it's that one. it should be a xrandr setting center for kde4. it also
has a system tray plasma applet that is called krandrtray. it was able to
set up multiple monitors and use them via xrandr. it also has a panel for
power management.
if it breaks xorg then i think that there is something wrong about the edid
read from the xorg. try looking into /var/log/Xorg.0.log and into
/home/<your user>/.xsession-errors file and see the warnings inside there.
if not these 2 logs might help you understand what happens.

--
dott. ing. beso