[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Apr 2 20:09:31 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 13:45, david wrote:
>>> Agreed.  Using your technique I confirm that konqueror has the same
>>> problem on this system too.  However, firefox does not.
>> Better - or different - error handling would be my guess. Handling HTML
>> tag soup has been a problem for browser developers for a long time now.
>> I'm not familiar with how much the W3C standards have to say about error
>> handling beyond the standard guideline of "If you don't recognize it,
>> ignore it" (applied to tags / attributes / values). When faced with
>> items like missing closing tags, the browser basically has to "guess"
>> where the page author wanted to put the missing tag. How a browser
>> figures that out varies from browser to browser. IE is notorious for
>> accepting almost anything, partly because it's willing to take more
>> radical guesses (based on its programmers ideas of what users expect
>> pages to look like). Netscape / Mozilla were more likely to stick with
>> standards and simply reject the mess if they couldn't make sense of
>> them. I don't know where Konqueror falls on that spectrum.
>
> Sadly, too many sites are only checked against IE.  Nothing much we can do
> about that, apart from complain to the site owners.

The arrival of IE8, which by default is set to use Standards mode
instead of IE7 Quirks mode, will have a lot of impact on such sites.

Complaining is good. Especially if you were a paying customer unable to
buy from their site. If their only response to such a complaint is to
tell you to use IE, then they're not serious about customer service or
their business.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com