[kde-linux] Why is gvim ONLY app which does not behave?

Bernard Barton bfb21 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 1 03:32:43 UTC 2007

Joerg Stadermann wrote:
> On Freitag 31 August 2007, Bernard Barton wrote:
>
>> I just upgraded to Fedora 7, with KDE 3.5.7.  Everything looks
>> great EXCEPT for gvim!  This includes all of the GTK based apps
>> I've run. But gvim would not maximize correctly until I in the
>> KDE Control Center under "Window behavior" I checked "Allow
>> moving and resizing of maximized windows".  Now I can maximize
>> the window, but it's larger than the screen area.  Good grief.
>> Before checking this option, If I tried to maximize gvim,
>> it would just bounce back to about 85% maximized position.  I
>> also tried to set the geometry in gvim's window menu in the
>> "Special window settings" dialog, but still the window would
>> not maximize.  Anyone have any idea why gvim doesn't want to
>> play nicely with KDE?
>>
>> -Thanks
>>

> Bah, wimps. Real vim/gvim users dont need to resize windows. We
> set the size in .gvimrc and that's it. No stinkin' maximizing for
> us ;-)
>
> No, seriously, vim is a wonderfull app, but it does many things in
> it's own way, one of the reasons, why the vimpart never really
> worked or why kvim was stopped. I guess your version of gvim does
> not fully comply with the freedesktop.org window spec. As
> somebody mentioned in this thread, version 7.1.93 (the latest
> version) doesn't seem to have this problem. I'm using 7.1.12 on
> kde 3.5.7 and I have the same behaviour as David has.
>
> Joerg

Actually I do set the column and lines in the .gvimrc. But regardless, I
should be
able to maximize.  I don't believe the problem is with KDE, but KDE is
the only
desktop environment gvim exhibits this behavior.  It works perfectly
under GNOME
and XFCE.  Ah well, not a big deal.  At least I can maximize the window
(albeit
larger than the display area).

-Thanks