[kde-linux] KDE 4 is Coming--how to do it?

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Wed Oct 31 18:22:28 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 15:56, David Baron wrote:
> Soon, hopefully, a releasable or release version of KDE4 will be available.
> The question I have is how to make the upgrade.
(snip)
Sorry for not being able to provide technical answers, I'm not sure I
understood your quetions but I can feel your fear.
> Any advice?
I never make upgrades. I just have many partitions. I trash the oldest system
from some partitions and install the brand new one there, keeping a
functionnal system on the other partitions. Then I find how to copy (mock
trial, does not need to remain up to date) important files from my homedir,
mailbox (want to keep some old mails), calendar...
I also reinstall apps instead of moving them but I have to try to move the few
programs I wrote (just for fun, I'm not a programmer nor a guru). I also try
to regain all the functionnality I was used to or learn how to use the new
tools providing therefore.
At some time I am confident I can make the transition, make a final
"update" (i.e. moving latestes files and versions of them) and get my mail in
the new system, then only use the old system as back-up or for comparison
(it is possible to have some trade off, the new system may not be better for
every aspect)...until I trash and replace it.    ;-)

Still one question I would like to have some opinion on: keep a single HOMEDIR
or not?

Cheers		Perry

--
BOFH excuse #447: According to Microsoft, it's by design