[kde-linux] KDE sound screwed, one user account ONLY

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Oct 31 13:39:12 UTC 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 31 October 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> But now I have somehow mangled the sound configuration in my user
>> account.  I created a new user account to test it and it works
>> perfectly.  I temporarily removed: "$HOME/.kde/share/config/" and it
>> made no difference.
>>
>> Very odd symptom is the if I open the Sound System KCM and click the:
>> "Test Sound" button, it hangs.  No test sound is played and the button
>> stays down -- I have to kill the window.
>>
>> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Try removing the directory ~/.mcop

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't fix the problem.

After some time spent on trial and error, I traced the problem to:

$HOME/.kde/socket-localhost

Deleting this directory fixes the problem after two restarts of the X
session.

I have a theory as to what is happening, but need to do more work on it.
  It appears that trying to view a video with NoAtun or Kaboodle (which
fails to work) is doing something to this directory.

--
JRT