[kde-linux] POP Filters

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Wed Oct 17 22:43:36 UTC 2007

Hi Scott,

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 23:04, Scott Bicknell inscribed thus:
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 10:45:46 am Gaffer. wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I sent this over a week ago.....   I am surprised that no one
> > has commented!
> >
> > On Tuesday 09 October 2007 19:15, Gaffer. inscribed thus:
> > > Hi Guys,
> > >
> > > Running SuSE 10.2 Kmail 1.9.5 KDE 3.5.5.  I don't seem to be
> > > able to get "POP filters" to work.  My mail server running
> > > "Spam Assassin" tags the spam with "X-Spam-Flag = Yes".
> > > But POP filter doesn't seem to delete them from the server,
> > > they get downloaded and caught by  "Filter Rules"  which
> > > correctly puts them in the wasetbin.
> > >
> > > Is it me or doesn't POP filters work like I expect it to !
> > > ie read the headers and delete them from the server as
> > > instructed.
> > >
> > > Thanks:
>
> Try this link:
> http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdepim/kmail/popfilters.html
>
> "In the configuration dialog of the POP account you can enable
> download filtering by checking the Filter messages if they are
> greater than box; once you have done that, you can specify a
> size which is used as a threshold: messages exceeding this size
> will be checked against the filter rules you defined"
>
> It seems that they don't have any effect until this is done.

I'm struggling a little on this one!  I currently have "Filter
messages if they are greater than"  Set to 25K  Which is fine.  I get
a dialog asking "what do I want to do with them"   9 times out of 10
they are junk anyway.

I get lots of smaller messages that are simply spam and are tagged as
such.  POP filters just doesn't seem to see them.  However they do
get downloaded and correctly filtered by the mail filters.

It seems that POP filter is not marking the mail for deletion on the
server.

If its any help I have 12 different servers that I get mail from.  I
wonder if its moving on to the next server before its had a chance to
issue delete instructions, so they get downloaded anyway.

Thankyou for the link to the help page.  It helped in so much as it
confirms my understanding of how POP filter should behave.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.