[kde-linux] POP Filters

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Wed Oct 17 19:38:32 UTC 2007

Hi Anne,

On Wednesday 17 October 2007 19:45, Anne Wilson inscribed thus:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2007 19:19:17 Werner Joss wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2007 20:12 schrieben Sie:

> > > I could be wrong,
> >
> > I'm relative sure, you are :)
> > - as I understand the OP, there is already spamassassin running
> > at his ISP's mailserver, tagging suspect emails with "X-Spam-Flag
> > = Yes" _before_ something else happens.
> > so he could set up a pop filter which just looks at this to
> > decide to delete mails on the server. which doesn't seem to work.
> >
> > werner
>
> I see.  You mean SA reads them while still on the server?  I didn't
> know it could do that :-)
>
> Anne

My ISP runs "Spam Assassin"   Which tags any suspect mail with
an "X-Spam-Flag" header.   If my understanding of POP filters is
correct, then by using this as a marker, any mail thus marked can be
deleted on the server without having to download it.

Using exactly the same header mail filters correctly catch and divert
tagged mail into the waste bin.  This in turn gets deleted when I
close Kmail.

Either way the spam gets deleted.  But I would rather not download it
in the first place.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.