[kde-linux] Konqueror and UTF8

Michael auslands-kv at gmx.de
Tue Oct 16 12:15:22 UTC 2007

Thanks for answering. This is really an awful problem. :-(

O.k. first: I checked it several times with convmv.
When the filename is UTF8 encoded, it is shown correctly on the VTs and on
Konsole program (that is set manually to UTF8), but incorrectly on
Konqueror.

When I convmv to iso8859-1, the files are shown correctly in konqueror and
wrongly in the console/VTs.

Every new file that I generate in any program running under kde seems to be
generated with an iso8859-1 filename.

Every file I generate from a VT or from Konsole has an UTF8 encoded
filename.

Now I tried (for the first time) kate and maybe found an interesting detail:
In the settings, the text encoding is set to "Standard KDE" (whatever that
means). And upon saving a file the filename and the text is encoded as
iso8859-1 !!!

I can switch this manually to UTF8. Then the filename is still encoded as
iso8859-1, but the text is UTF8.

What is interesting is, that kate thinks there is something like a "Standard
KDE" and this is still set to iso8859-1.

You have an idea, where this "Standard KDE" is defined??

Thanks,

Michael