[kde-linux] Kaffeine won't play a 60mn DVD film

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 27 17:37:13 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 Nov 2007, john d. herron wrote:
> Our US distributor sent me a commercial DVD copy of a documentary film
> he cut from an original master tape of ours.
> I'm a greenhorn when it comes to the technical aspects of such media.
> Placing the DVD disc into my CD/DVD drive caused the system to suggest
> Kaffeine as the application to open/view/run its contents. I followed
> the suggestion and here's what Kaffeine tells me:
>
> "xine: couldn't find demux for >dvd:///dev/hdd<
> 05:22:37 PM: xine: cannot find input plugin for MRL [dvd:///dev/hdd]
> 05:22:37 PM: xine: input plugin cannot open MRL [dvd:///dev/hdd]
> 05:22:06 PM: xine: found input plugin  : DVD Navigator
> 05:14:08 PM: input_file: File not found: >/media/cdrom0/FILM Peter Brook
> - The Mahabharata 1.avi<
> 05:14:08 PM: xine: found input plugin  : file input plugin
> 05:11:39 PM: xine: couldn't find demux for >dvd:///dev/hdd<
> 05:11:38 PM: xine: found input plugin  : DVD Navigator
> 05:10:04 PM: xine: couldn't find demux for >dvd:///dev/hdd<
> 05:10:03 PM: xine: found input plugin  : DVD Navigator"
>
> Is the DVD (or my Kaffeine) faulty ?

Neither :-)

> or am I overlooking something ?
> Any help will be thankfully appreciated

Almost certainly it is because you don't have the dvd plugins and codecs.  I
don't know where ubuntu have their non-free stuff, but that's where you will
find them.  Start by looking for libdvdcss and libdvdnav (on my system that's
libdvdnav4).  I also have libdvdread and libdvdread-utils.

The problem is that licensing issues mean that many packages like this can't
be distributed in the distro.  Each distro has a place or two, not owned or
controlled by the distro for legal reasons, where you have to go to get them.
This is largely because the legal aspect of owning/using them differs from
country to country.