[kde-linux] kooka scanning software

John Layt johnlayt1 at yahoo.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 21:08:25 UTC 2007

On Monday 26 November 2007, Peter Catchlove wrote:
> ...yes, sorry to dampen the euphoria, but my experience with tesseract was
> the same as Richard's: much better, but still far from what you get with
> the (effectively) free stuff you get automatically when you purchase your
> scanner. While it's true that the best OCR is likely to be commercial, it's
> frustrating that there's stuff which does a very good job and is virtually
> given away, but can't be run under linux.

Personally, I'm happy to leave Google to beaver away on Tesseract, they have
more resources to throw at the problem than us, and it's in their own
interest to do so given their plans for scanning the planets libraries.  I'm
more interested in finding the time to rip the OCR bits from out of Kooka and
port them to the KDE 4 libraries, so we can get a decent scanning front-end
in KDE.  Then we can look at hooking Tesseract up :-)

John.