[kde-linux] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Sun Nov 25 12:12:20 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 24 Nov 2007, Jim Philips wrote:
>
>> I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
>> support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful. If I
>> click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:
>>
>> "Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."
>>
>> And it can stay like that for an hour. This has put me off of KMail and
>> on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite fast.  I am using the
>> same settings in both clients. The instructions I used are at:
>>
>> https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibling
>>

> Just a guess - it sounds like an authentication problem to me.  Have you
> checked that your kmail account setup has your username and password, and is
> set to SSL (IIRC that's what gmail uses)?
>
> Anne

Authentication can't be the problem. For one, I can view individual
folders where the mail has been tagged. All untagged mail is in the
inbox and that's what never appears. I followed instructions to the
letter regarding SSL for the IMAP account. I then checked it using the
"check what the serfver supports" function in KMail's settings dialog.