[kde-linux] Why is KMail so bad with GMail IMAP?

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 24 22:41:15 UTC 2007

I am a big user of GMail, so I was pleased when they announced IMAP
support. But with KMail (KDE 3.5.8), the performance is just awful. If I
click on my inbox to view my mail, I get something like:

"Retrieving folder contents... Please wait."

And it can stay like that for an hour. This has put me off of KMail and
on to Thunderbird, where the performance is quite fast.  I am using the
same settings in both clients. The instructions I used are at:

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&ctx=sibling