[kde-linux] Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor.

Phillip Pi ant at zimage.com
Sat Nov 24 06:10:20 UTC 2007

> >> Here's the results with a new user account. It generated a
> >> .xsession-errors file containing.
> >>
> >> startkde: Starting up...
> >> Hangup
> >> GOT SIGHUP
> >> startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
> >> Error: Can't open display: :0
> >> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> >> ksmserver: cannot connect to X server :0
> >> ERROR: Couldn't attach to DCOP server!
> >> startkde: Shutting down...
> >> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> >> Error: Can't contact kdeinit!
> >> startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
> >> xprop:  unable to open display ':0'
> >> startkde: Done.
> >
> > That's the pretty much the same thing I got until I used the workaround
> > for startkde.
>
> What work around was that? I don't recall seeing one on the bug report
> that was mentioned earlier.

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=452053 for:

/usr/bin/startkde file:
LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit --new-startup +kcminit_startup
LD_BIND_NOW=true start_kdeinit_wrapper --new-startup +kcminit_startup

:)
--
"One day he sprained an ankle rather than crush an ant." --Les
Miserables
   \ _ /                 E-mail: philpi at earthlink.net or ant at zimage.com
    ( )