[kde-linux] Starting up KDE

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 23 08:55:05 UTC 2007

Stuart Norman wrote:
> Your .xsession-errors log is in your home directory, not /var/log, because
> it's specific to your logged in session. It's a hidden file (notice that it
> has a prefixed period). If you were to look for it in Konqueror, you would
> have to set it from menu View to display hidden files, or from a terminal
> use "ls -a" to see hidden files. However, if KDE didn't start there probably
> wouldn't be anything in it - it's rewritten every time X restarts and
> continues as long as the session is running.

Thanks for telling me where to find it. OK, let's see what happens here.
Will start this note in Thunderbird under Fluxbox, exit Fluxbox, try to
start KDE again, and see what .xsession-errors has to say.

Back. Trying to start kde from a command line got me a lovely blank X
screen with the X mouse pointer there, responding happily to mouse
moves. Killing X got me back to the terminal, where there was an error
message about being unable to start kdeinit, "check your installation."
There were lots of other hidden files, but no .xsession-errors log at
all in my home folder. So the problem apparently isn't X.

Starting KDE from a shell under Fluxbox doesn't generate an
.xsession-errors file, either.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com