[kde-linux] Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor.

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 06:44:52 UTC 2007

david wrote:
> Phillip Pi wrote:
>> Someone told me to try adding echoes in my /usr/sbin/startkde script
>> like this:
>>
>> # finally, give the session control to the session manager
>> # see kdebase/ksmserver for the description of the rest of the startup sequence
>> # if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used as KDE's
>> # window manager instead of kwin.
>> # if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
>> # kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
>> # kwrapper does not return usefull error codes such as the exit code of ksmserver.
>> # We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
>> # started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
>> # will remain undetected.
>> test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
>> echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
>>
>> kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
>> echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
>> if test $? -eq 255; then
>>   # Startup error
>>   echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'  1>&2
>>   xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation."
>>   echo "xmessage" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
>> fi
>>
>> I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
>> happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
>> ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
>> can see where it is hanging now. :(
>
> That's a good idea (adding echoes to the script). ksmserver is the K
> Session Manager, and (according to the description)
>
> "This package contains the KDE session manager. It is responsible for
> restoring your KDE session on login. It is also needed to properly
> start a KDE session. It registers KDE with X display managers, and
> provides the 'startkde' command, for starting an X session with KDE
> from the console."
>
> Perhaps reinstalling the KSMServer would fix the connection between KDE
> and X? I'll try that now and let you know what happens.

Didn't help. Attempts to start KDE from the command line still report
being unable to start kdeinit. I can't find kdeinit listed as a separate
package, so I don't know if simply reinstalling kdeinit would fix things.

Looks like reinstalling system fresh is the only option.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community