[kde-linux] kstart --alldesktops

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Nov 20 10:55:09 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I have a script that's supposed to load three instances of GKrellM on all
> four of my virtual desktops. It looks like this:
>
> x---------------------------------------------------------------
> kstart --alldesktops gkrellm &
> kstart --alldesktops gkrellm -f -s 192.168.0.2   -P 19150 &
> kstart --alldesktops gkrellm -f -s 192.168.0.166 -P 19150 &
> x---------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I execute the script from a button on my Kicker.
>
> However, only the desktop I am on at the time I pick the button receives
> all three GKrellMs. The other desktops receive only one of the three, and
> that varies from run to run.
>
> Is something broken? I am running KDE 3.5.5.

No.
The problem is that kstart needs to modify the application's window manager
hints, so it has to wait until the application window appears.
Since you have given no specific name, it will take the next window which is
being opened, so this can be the same gkrellm window for all three kstart
calls.

If gkrellm changes its window title (caption) according to the IP address it
is connecting to, you can use the window title to specify which kstart call
belongs to which window, i.e. see kstart's --window option.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring