[kde-linux] Child windows not appearing - KDE 3.5.7

David Boston dboston at velseis.com.au
Mon Nov 19 02:22:46 UTC 2007

Kevin Krammer wrote:
On Wednesday 07 November 2007, David Boston wrote:
 >  >> Hello people,
 >  >>      I have a bit of an odd one on KDE 3.5.7-1.fc6 built for Fedora
 >  >> core 6 on x86.
 >  >>      An application that opens child windows that contain some motif
 >  >> widgets to display a text file won't work on the above KDE - there's
 >  >> just a flash on the screen the shape of the window and it vanishes as
 >  >> if it was a remote window without permission to be there. They do
work
 >  >> on

 >Hmm, well, since you report has been working with an older KDE version,
 >it could be a regression in KWin.
 >
 >Do you have the option of testing with a different distribution? E.g.
 >running a live CD like Knoppix and check if it works when you use that
 > as the remote display?

It showed the same behaviour of no child windows with knoppix 5.1 and
knoppix 3.7 (kwin 3.0, kde 3.3.1) via both ssh and telnet with the
$DISPLAY set.

However a new release of the application has come out that works
properly when I run it remotely from the knoppix session without
changing a single setting.  They have fixed the application.

Thanks for your help.

--
David Boston
Computer Systems Administrator