[kde-linux] Starting up KDE hangs with a black desktop and movable mouse cursor.

Phillip Pi ant at zimage.com
Mon Nov 19 05:31:20 UTC 2007

Someone told me to try adding echoes in my /usr/sbin/startkde script
like this:

# finally, give the session control to the session manager
# see kdebase/ksmserver for the description of the rest of the startup sequence
# if the KDEWM environment variable has been set, then it will be used as KDE's
# window manager instead of kwin.
# if KDEWM is not set, ksmserver will ensure kwin is started.
# kwrapper is used to reduce startup time and memory usage
# kwrapper does not return usefull error codes such as the exit code of ksmserver.
# We only check for 255 which means that the ksmserver process could not be
# started, any problems thereafter, e.g. ksmserver failing to initialize,
# will remain undetected.
test -n "$KDEWM" && KDEWM="--windowmanager $KDEWM"
echo "test wm" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt

kwrapper ksmserver $KDEWM
echo "kwrapper ksmserver" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
if test $? -eq 255; then
  # Startup error
  echo 'startkde: Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation.'  1>&2
  xmessage -geometry 500x100 "Could not start ksmserver. Check your installation."
  echo "xmessage" >> /home/ant/download/log.txt
fi

I got "test wm" in log.txt, but nothing after it. It looks like the hang
happens with kwrapper ksmserver section. I tried to view kwrapper and
ksmserver files, but they are binaries. Now, I am stuck but at least we
can see where it is hanging now. :(

   \ _ /                 E-mail: philpi at earthlink.net or ant at zimage.com
    ( )