[kde-linux] KDE4 won't start

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Nov 14 23:20:21 UTC 2007

I appear to have done something really stupid while revising various
scripts that set my environment and now KDE4 won't start.  Or, it is
possible that this is just a coincidence and it is something else which
is the problem.

I note that after fixing one very obvious mistake that KDE3 works fine.

The output from: "startkde" for KDE4:

Link points to "/tmp/KDE4-kde4/kde-KDE4"
Link points to "/var/tmp/KDE4-kde4/kdecache-KDE4"
Link points to "/tmp/KDE4-kde4/ksocket-KDE4"
startkde: Starting up...
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/local/KDE-4.0/lib/kde4/libexec
kdeinit4: Launched KLauncher, pid = 2186 result = 1
kdeinit4: PID 2186 terminated.
kdeinit4: opened connection to :0.0
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/local/KDE-4.0/bin
kdeinit4: Launched KDED, pid = 2187 result = 1
kdeinit4: PID 2187 terminated.
kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/local/KDE-4.0/bin
kdeinit4: Launched 'kcminit_startup', pid = 2188 result = 1
kdeinit4: PID 2188 terminated.
kdeinit4: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning:
connect(/home/KDE4/.kde4/socket-localhost/kdeinit4__0) failed: :
Connection refused

At which point the splash sticks on 'desktop'.

I thought that it was probably an environment issue [see attached].
However, the changes I made work fine with KDE3.

Nothing found on Google.

I have deleted much of the directory: $HOME/KDE4 and rebooted (which
deletes /tmp) and it didn't help.

--
JRT