[kde-linux] Disable menu options in kmenu

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 2 11:41:51 UTC 2007

Hi Murray,

On Friday 02 November 2007, Murray Trainer wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  Looks like a glaring omission to me.  KDE
> applications can have greyed out menu options so why not kmenu?

Menu items in programs are usually disabled when the current state of the
application does not allow them being used, but where they are actually
available in a different state.

The application launcher does not have a state, it can always launch all
applications, but since on dual desktop installations there might be a lot of
overlap, it needed a facility to hide certain desktop speific entries.

Since I have not been involved with the specifications this is based on, I can
just guess that something like disabling certain entries just never came up
during the process of writing and agreeing the spec, not that it has been
rejected.

> Anyway, is there something I can do in the .desktop file to stop it
> running or change it's behaviour for certain groups of users?

It is possible to have different config hierachies for different users or
groups (a bit like setting different $PATH), e.g. for freedesktop.org based
items see [1]

The KDE tool kde-config can be used to display the current directory hierachy
for a certain user, e.g. for seeing the search path of "launcher" menu files

% kde-config --path xdgconf-menu

Usually this is just the user local directory and the global one, where the
user local one is usually empty unless the user has changed the menu through
the menu editor.

[2] and [3] are two other links from my admin related bookmarks, maybe they
are helpful as well.

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/XDG_Filesystem_Hierarchy