[kde-linux] KDE 4 is Coming--how to do it?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 2 11:26:30 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 October 2007, David Baron wrote:

> Come KDE4. There will be a new $KDEDIR? How do I keep previously compiled
> kde apps and their components (I assume they will still run, either off the
> new kde4/qt4 libs or with the old ones--if I need the old ones, then
> keeping them in place and having the old $KDEDIR on the exec path and load
> paths should do it, wasting loads of disk space, but ...).

Debian will, by policy, install KDE4 into prefix /usr, like anything else.
However, since this makes certain conflicts unavoidable, the only parts of
both KDE versions which are installable in parallel are basically the kdelibs
and some part of kdebase.

The goal is to allow running KDE3 applications in a KDE4 session or to run
KDE4 applications in a KDE3 session, e.g. just using a few of the new bits,
probably Okular, games and so on.

> I would hope backwards compatibility IS there and I simply need to make the
> load paths use the new libraries. Even so, there is soooo much in $KDEDIR,
> I have little way to track it to move them into /usr/local or such.

KDE4 applications will of course be able to read config and data from their
KDE3 versions, but it isn't guaranteed that the KDE3 version can then still
use it, e.g. an upgrade script might have changed it.

> Any advice?

If you are still on Debian/SID you could first try to change back to those KDE
packages (working fine here), thus starting with the same situation as
several other people as well.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring