[kde-linux] Installing KDE in Home Directory

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue May 29 11:40:09 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 29 May 2007, O. Olson wrote:
> --- "O. Olson" <olson_ord at yahoo.it> ha scritto:
> > grep: /lib/libattr.la: No such file or directory
> > /bin/sed: can't read /lib/libattr.la: No such file
> > or
> > directory
> > libtool: link: `/lib/libattr.la' is not a valid
> > libtool archive
> > make[3]: *** [libkio.la] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/masca/kdelibs-3.5.7/kio'
> > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[2]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/masca/kdelibs-3.5.7/kio'
> > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory
> > `/home/masca/kdelibs-3.5.7'
> > make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> Dear Kevin,
> 	I just wanted to add that if there is a package that
> I can install to fix this problem let me know. However
> remember that I cannot be root while doing this.

Hmm, you can try to things.

One is to fake the file. You'll need another .la file, copy it to your
prefix/lib and rename it to libattr.la
Then you modify it (it is a simple text file) so that all its internal
reference to the original library are also replaced with libattr

Second option is to check which package of your distribution contains the
libattr.so files.
Then get the respective source package, extract it (rather than have it
installed by the package manager) and compile and install it inot your
prefix.

I couldn't find a direct source package for libattr, maybe it is part of a
bigger one.

Cheers.
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring