[kde-linux] KDE on Fujitsu Stylistic

chris dunn chris at dunnz.org
Wed May 9 22:42:44 UTC 2007

Having installed KDE on my desktop box in place  of XFCE4, I was
pleasantly surprised at the speed and configuration options.

And so I decided to follow the same path on my old Stylistic 3500 tablet
which was working happily with XFCE4.  Now I have at least 2 show
stoppers.

1. When I run KDE control centre it starts up properly, however the left
window pane which should show the configurable options is blank, so I'm
unable to select anything for configuring.

2. Previously when running XFCE4, I'd used KDM as a login manager and
had set it up so that xvkbd virtual keyboard appeared on the log-in
screen, to allow me to log in normally, and then to continue to run
after log-in so that it was always available.

xvkbd now shows up on the log-in screen so that I can log in, and shows
up as running after log-in. However it is non-functional, in that
clicking on the keyboard does not produce any result (for instance in a
terminal window).

I've tried other virtual keyboards, and GOK sort of works, but very
slowly and awkwardly.

Can anyone point me towards solutions, or do I have to go back to using
XFCE4?

Chris Dunn