[kde-linux] Disabling KDE web-browser

Ender Wiggin ender41 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 05:15:04 UTC 2007

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 00:53:05 +0800, Juan Carlos Torres wrote:

> On Friday 27 April 2007 22:41, john d. herron wrote:
>> In the KDE configuration pages I have designated Firefox to be my
>> default browser (and Thunderbird as my default mail program).
>> Problem: When I click on a weblink embedded in an e-mail message, I now
>> expect Firefox to open the link. But instead, Konqueror still preempts
>> Firefox, even though it is NOT the default browser and even when Firefox
>> is already open.
>> How can I correct this situation?
>>
>> Any help will be thankfully appreciated
>> jdh
>> _________________
>> kubuntu Feisty on i586 w/ 512 MB
>
> KDE's Default Application settings can only control KDE apps. Since neither
> Thunderbird nor Firefox are KDE apps, they don't honor the default browser
> that you have set in KControl (or System Settings). You either have to
> manually change each app's settings or you can set a default browser for all
> X (GUI) apps:
>
> sudo update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
>
> Hope that helps.

  Or you could do it in firefox itself

1) open the following URL in Firefox:
about:config

2) set the option "network.protocol-handler.external.mailto" to true

Set a new string to

3) Create the option "network.protocol-handler.app.mailto"

Then in the next window set it to preferred mailer eg thunderbird