[kde-linux] USB memory auto mounting

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Mon May 7 21:30:06 UTC 2007

Taymour A. El Erian wrote:

> On 4/26/07, *Sascha Hlusiak* <saschahlusiak at arcor.de
> <mailto:saschahlusiak at arcor.de>> wrote:
>

>     > When I used to insert a USB memory in the laptop, KDE asked what
>     do with
>     > it. Suddenly I stopped getting this window anymore. I check the
>     messages
>     > file and I see my USB memory detected by the usb storage module
>     and its
>     > device is identified (sdbn). I check the control center and the
>     following
>     > are running KDED Media manager
>     > Media notifier daemon
>     >
>     > I have searched a lot with no use, does anybody know the reason
>     ?. I dont
>     > want to revert back to mounting the USB memory from the terminal.
>
>     Had the same problem. After upgrading to the currently hardmasked
>     hal version,
>     it works again. No problems so far.
>
>     Sascha

> What is a hardmasked hal version ?, I was using the one that came with
> FC6 and it was working fine and suddenly stopped.
>
> --
> Taymour
Hope you do not find this reply too frustrating. The same thing happened
to me and somebody on some list told me that it was the fault of a
corrupt config file - either for dbus or for hal. Of course I do not
remember / did not save the name of the faulty file. But when I deleted
it, as suggested, the usual behaviour came back and usb drives were once
again mounted and I was again asked if I wanted to open a new window
etc. Sorry cannot be more specific but it will perhaps give you and idea
of where to look

Bogus