[kde-linux] How to check kmail has some unread mails ?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Mar 27 13:06:05 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 27 March 2007 14:49 +0100, christophe wrote:
> Le Mardi 27 Mars 2007 14:41, Kevin Krammer a écrit :
> > On Tuesday 27 March 2007 13:59 +0100, christophe wrote:
> > > In a script, i'd like to check wether kmail has some unread mails.
> > > In order to do so, i found on a mailing list that something like :
> > > `cat /home/christophe/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/.*.index | grep -c
> > > "0000"` would do the trick, but it always returns zero. Where am i
> > > wrong ?
> >
> > If you have been using KMail for a long time, the mails might be in the
> > old location
> > ~/Mail
>
> Nope.
>
> >[...]
> > % dcop kmail KMailIface folderList | while read folder; do dcop $(dcop
> > kmail KMailIface getFolder $folder) unreadMessages; done
>
> I've tried it but it doesn't work.

Hmm.

Try this

% dcop kmail KMailIface folderList | while read folder; do dcop $(dcop kmail
KMailIface getFolder "$folder") unreadMessages; done

As you found out already the first command lists the names of the folders
the while loop takes each item and gets the folder's DCOP reference and calls
unreadMessages on it.

A single step would look like this

% FOLDER=$(dcop kmail KMailIface getFolder "/Local/inbox")
% dcop "$FOLDER" unreadMessages

I am using KMail 1.9.5, maybe this is a newly added method.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring