[kde-linux] removable USB hard drive not detected by KDE-3.5.6

James Lockie bjlockie at lockie.ca
Tue Mar 20 23:39:23 UTC 2007

My USB Flash drive pops up a "new medium has been detected" but my USB
hard does not (it used too but I upgraded something :-().

The dmesg output for my USB Flash drive:
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdg
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type

The dmesg output for my USB hard drive drive:
sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdg
sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 0

Notice the hard drive is not detected as removable.

2.6.20-gentoo-r3 kernel.
The hard drive is formatted as ext3 and mounts manually.

A FAT32 formatted USB hard drive does not pop up either:
sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdg
sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg6 type 0