[kde-linux] kde-linux Digest, Vol 51, Issue 20

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Fri Jun 22 11:24:01 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 21 June 2007 22:01:40 Bogus Zaba wrote:
>
>> Thomas Ronayne wrote:

>>> Yup.

>>> Yup.

>>> Oh, no, none of those.

>>> Ah, yes.

>>> Yup, did that.

>>> Yup, did that too.

>>> And that.

>>> And that.

>>> Yup, chose 'intl'

>>> Yes, I can type é and ũ and pretty much everything *but* an umlaut (used
>>> to be colon-u). There is the sound of gnashing teeth accompanying.

>>> You're right, no switching (but must type quote-space to not get accent,
>>> but, hey, better than nothing, eh).

>>> Life is better, nothing to be sorry about, you've helped a great deal,
>>> thank you for the explanation.
>>>
>>> Thomas
>>>
>> OK, here´s how I get umlauted a, o etc. I have the British (GB) keyboard
>> enabled with the intl variant.
>>

> What is this intl variant?  How/where did you set it up?
>

>> I know press the Control key (left or
>> right) together with the ¨ (double quote - shift-2 on my GB keyboard)
>> symbol. Let go the control and press your a or o or u and out pops ä ö
>> ü. Not sure of course how this will work on a US keyboard. Presumably
>> there is a double quote symbol somewhere on it, although I guess it is
>> not shift-2. By the way I don know why itś the Control key that does the
>> magic. I read about it somewhere, but my ¨compose¨ key is actually set
>> to right-Alt which I seem to have to use to create some accented
>> characters. Umlaut works with the control-key thing.
>>

> It doesn't work here, but I have the straightforward GB keyboard.  I'd be
> interest to hear more.
>
> Anne

You pick the variant of the keyboard layout in KMenu > Personal Settings
 > Regional & Accessibility > Keybaord Layout. The top tab in this form
has a long list of national keyboard layouts on the left and the usual
list of th eones you want to use on the right with buttons to move them
around. Underneath the right hand list is a drop down box labelled
¨Layout Variant¨. It is only functional if one of the layouts above is
highlighted. For the GB layout I get the following variants : Basic,
Intl and Dvorak. All this is with Suse 10.1 and KDE 3.5.1. In my previos
KDE version ¨Personal Settings¨ was called something else, possibly
¨Control Centre¨. btw if you do select this variant you cannot just hit
(Shift-2) to get ¨ - you have to hit it twice, because first time it
thinks you are building up an umlauted character. Also my previous post
which said that Control needs to be pressed when pressing the accent was
rubbish - it works whether Control is pressed or not, so obviously
easier to do it without.

Bogus