[kde-linux] kde-linux Digest, Vol 51, Issue 20

Bogus Zaba bogus at bogzab.plus.com
Thu Jun 21 21:01:40 UTC 2007

Thomas Ronayne wrote:
> kde-linux-request at kde.org wrote:
>
>> first of all, i assume, that your from the US.
>>

> Yup.
>
>> so i think your keyboard has the US "qwerty" Layout.
>>

> Yup.
>
>> but.. as far as i know, there are no umlaut-keys..
>>

> Oh, no, none of those.
>
>> i refer myself to the vi-vim-cheatsheet
>>
>> with the accents i can help you..
>>

> Ah, yes.
>
>> go to the keyboard layout option in the control center...
>>

> Yup, did that.
>
>> klick the "Enable keyboard layouts"
>>

> Yup, did that too.
>
>> this whole widget shouldn't be greyed out anymore ..
>>

> And that.
>
>> In active layouts you place all the layouts for your keyboard you want..
>> In your case it would be US..
>>

> And that.
>
>> add it --> then expicitly choose it and then klick the drop-down menu
>> called "Layout variant" where you can choose different stuff..
>>

> Yup, chose 'intl'
>
>> since i'm not from the US i only tried a bit, to be able to do what you
>> want... with the "intl" layout variant i was able to write an ? and an ? and
>> an ?  ;)
>>

> Yes, I can type é and ũ and pretty much everything *but* an umlaut (used
> to be colon-u). There is the sound of gnashing teeth accompanying.
>
>> this way you're able to write accent characters and normal characters all the
>> time .. no need to switch between different variants/layouts/etc... (at least
>> i think so)
>>

> You're right, no switching (but must type quote-space to not get accent,
> but, hey, better than nothing, eh).
>
>> sorry can't help with the umlauts and all the characters usual in the
>> scandinavic countries..
>>

> Life is better, nothing to be sorry about, you've helped a great deal,
> thank you for the explanation.
>
> Thomas

OK, here´s how I get umlauted a, o etc. I have the British (GB) keyboard
enabled with the intl variant. I know press the Control key (left or
right) together with the ¨ (double quote - shift-2 on my GB keyboard)
symbol. Let go the control and press your a or o or u and out pops ä ö
ü. Not sure of course how this will work on a US keyboard. Presumably
there is a double quote symbol somewhere on it, although I guess it is
not shift-2. By the way I don know why itś the Control key that does the
magic. I read about it somewhere, but my ¨compose¨ key is actually set
to right-Alt which I seem to have to use to create some accented
characters. Umlaut works with the control-key thing.

Bogus