[kde-linux] [Kde-pim] Kmail and M$ Exchange

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Thu Jun 14 15:17:45 UTC 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007 02:59:12 John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 11 June 2007, Bas Grolleman wrote:
> > Just mail is easy, since exchange has imap support you can just use that
> > ( I would recommend the detached imap mode )
>
> What precisely is the difference between detached mode and
> normal mode?

Detached mode is better. :)

In detached mode, syncing state with the IMAP server is only done at 'mail
check' time, all mail is stored locally as well as on the server, and
operations act on the local copy.  This is how I prefer to work, but that's
probably because it's closest to my old POP3 workflow.

In normal mode, an open connection to the IMAP server is maintained, all
operations sent immediately to the server, and messages that are opened /
previewed are pulled from the server.  Very little information is stored on
the client and working with mail is impossible when offline.  This is
probably closer to the use case IMAP was designed for, and is actually
preferable if the IMAP server is on your LAN (and your LAN is reliable), but
I just can't get over the limitation of not being able to work with my mail
without an active IMAP connection.

I do wish there was some middle ground... so that I didn't have to remember
to "sync" my IMAP before leaving the office but I couldn't do without the
offline access disconnected IMAP allows and Thunderbird's "offline mode"
frustrated me to no end.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))