[kde-linux] [ltp] speaker/volume Problem

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh hmh at hmh.eng.br
Fri Jun 1 13:45:50 UTC 2007

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Paul Kaplan wrote:
> With Feisty, the Thinkpad buttons control kmix directly, not the Thinkpad
> speakers.  As a result, I can't turn off the Thinkpad speakers (and

They control *both* at the same time, which is *always* a very very stupid
thing to do.

This is also one of the three main reasons why I am moving the entire
nvram-key-support for thinkpads into thinkpad-acpi, and NOT generating any
events for such keys by default in anything with a hardware mixer.

Distros really should be distributing the thinkpad-aware key daemons just as
OSD and without any active actions enabled for volume up/down/mute and
brightness up/down.

> How can I restore the old situation where the Thinkpad sound buttons are
> controlling only the internal speakers, not kmix?

Track down thinkpad-keys, tpb, and the "thinkpad aware" crap in KDE, and
find out which ones are active in your system, and listening to volume
up/down/mute. And reconfigure them to not generate KEY_VOLUME_UP/DOWN/MUTE
events, nor DBUS events.

  Henrique Holschuh