[kde-linux] Customized Kde

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jun 1 08:36:04 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Dhillon, Gurjit wrote:

> We have few users who are using KDE on remote desktop, they connect the
> server through Vpn from remote location and access Kde through Vnc.
> Users are facing bandwidth issue , Kde works very slow.

The best remote capabilities, especially on slow connections, has currently NX
by NoMachine.com

The client is free, available on multiple platforms and it can also be used
with a free software server implementation called FreeNX (though the one from
NoMachine is likely better supported)

> I want to know how can I customized KDE. I want to remove few
> application like , office application, games, gimps and few others.
> Basically I want to configure KDE window manager, to give only require
> options to users, as a result I will definitely get result on bandwidth
> issue.

Removing applications, as in uninstalling them, is a job of your distributions
package manager.

If you want to lock down user profiles, have a look at the following websites
http://docs.kde.org/stable/en/kdebase/userguide/kde-for-administrators.html

http://techbase.kde.org/SysAdmin

http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kiosktool/

But, as I said above, the best solution for improving the remote fidelity is
to use NX, since it applies caching strategies and minmized data transfers
(and can optionally forward sound, printers, file shares)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring