[kde-linux] Default user template

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 07:28:21 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 10:12:24 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Maybe I have not chosen the right words for the search, but I don't seem to
> find any usable information:
>
> I am in the process of installing a machine that should be used by several
> people in a lab. Most (if not all) of these people know nothing about
> Linux. I want to install a user for each of them, but I don't want to have
> to customise every user by hand. So I'd like to modify the template for a
> new user.
>
> I don't seem to find out how to do that. I've read about a ~/.kde "config"
> file but there is none. I do find a ~/.config directory, but the settings
> seem to be for other desktops (I'm installing Gentoo based Sabayon).
>
> As each distribution comes with other user settings, I assume it is
> possible to change these settings, but where and how?
>
> Regards,
>
> Thierry

Hi,

You are writing to a kde mailing list, so I'll assume that you will be using
KDE. The default configuration that each KDE user gets upon first graphical
login is taken from the <kde dir>/share/config/ and <kde dir>/share/apps/
(the latter for each application when it is first started, or at least I
think so).

Customizing these files is not a pretty job to do, though. An easier (I
suppose) way is to use the KDE Kiosk framework. It allows you to create user
profiles and that seems to be exactly what you'd like to do. You can find out
more here:

http://techbase.kde.org/SysAdmin/Kiosk/Introduction

The system-wide default home directory skeleton (regardless of graphical
system) is usually found in /etc/skel/. By modifying the contents of that
directory you could affect the initial settings for any application for each
newly created user.

Best regards!

--
Blade hails you...

I only wished to become something beautiful
Through my music, through my silent devotion
                                 --Nightwish