[kde-linux] Connecting to a samba share at startup

John Andersen jsa at pen.homeip.net
Mon Jul 30 19:39:05 UTC 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 30 Jul 2007, John Andersen wrote:

> > > Just doing this, but need clarification.  What exactly do you mean
> > > by //service/path?
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > It means //machine-name/share-name   The designation of a share visible
> > on the network in windows workgroup notation.
>
> Sorry to harp on, but mistakes in fstab tend to mess things up :-)  So for
> my home directory, would that be //server-name/anne, or
> //server-name/homes?
>
> Anne

Probably //server-name/anne  but any windows machine should be
able to tell you by browsing the network neighborhood.

homes is another share used to navigate to other users directory
(if permissions allow)

Each user is also shared by samba under that users login name
by virtue of the [users] entry in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file

--
John Andersen