[kde-linux] Anyway to have KDE hide mouse pointer when keyboard in use?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. bss03 at volumehost.net
Thu Jul 26 11:08:17 UTC 2007

On Thursday 26 July 2007, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj at acm.org> wrote
about 'Re: [kde-linux] Anyway to have KDE hide mouse pointer when keyboard
in	use?':
> david wrote:
> > I once used a Mac on which the mouse pointer politely disappeared
> > while you were using the keyboard. Can I get the same functionality in
> > KDE?
> This sounds like an interesting idea.  However, I think that it would be
> X11 that would have to do this since it controls the mouse and keyboard
> when you are running in graphics mode.

Well, konsole is smart enough to hide mouse cursors that are over it while
you are typing into it.  (So, what the OP wants is most likely possible.)
However, if you move keyboard focus off the main widget (e.g. into the
toolbar) the mouse pointer comes back.  (But, you can't rip the code
straight from konsole because it behaves differently.)  It changes how the
menus work at little bit -- the initially selected item after the menu is
dropped down is the one under the mouse pointer -- but navigating them
works fine as long as you mouse pointer doesn't move.  (So, what's wrong
with the mouse pointer being active even if it is hidden?)

> > insist on moving the highlight to
> > whatever item is under the mouse pointer (if there's even the
> > slightest movement of the mouse).

If your mouse moves when you don't want it to, you need a new mouse, not
better software.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
bss03 at volumehost.net                      ((_/)o o(\_))