[kde-linux] KDE +hal: "unable to eject" message with USB sticks

Jens Stroebel drifter at bcsoft.de
Thu Jul 12 14:48:39 UTC 2007

Rod Butcher wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Me too.
>>>
>>> I'm using Gentoo.
>>>
>>> Kubuntu on the other hand seems to handle this right, and it also has a
>>> nice feature: it shows a progress bar showing how much time left to
>>> umount/sync your usb stick.

Hm... does Kubuntu use KDE-3.5.7 for sure? I'm asking because we didn't
see the behavior of

  "The device was successfully unmounted, but could not be ejected"

before ... hm .. before 3.5.7 I think.

>> Is it possible that something is hanging on to the device?  Can you see any
>> possible cause in ksysguard?
> I seem to remember Konqueror having a habit of hanging on to devices I
> had mounted and then accessed with it; I had to kill Konqueror to free them.

I don't think this is the case. I can do a "plug, mount by cursor,
umount by cursor" and the effect occurs, w.o. any further usage of the
stick.

While talking this behavior through with cow-orker, we wondered if this
could have something to do with ejectable vs. not-ejectable devices...

Is there some info KDE should get to decide the difference (maybe from
udev/hal) w. regards to the attributes of the appearing device so that
it wouldn't try to eject at umount time?

Something that perhaps Kubuntu has implemented but is missing in our setup?

Just poking in the fog, here ....

			greets,
			   drifter
drifter at bcsoft.de
			23.....56.......drifting
By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
do thoughts acquire speed,  hands acquire shaking,  the shaking
becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion