[kde-linux] KDE +hal: "unable to eject" message with USB sticks

Sascha Hlusiak saschahlusiak at arcor.de
Thu Jul 12 11:11:10 UTC 2007

Rod Butcher wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> Me too.
>>>
>>> I'm using Gentoo.
>>>
>>> Kubuntu on the other hand seems to handle this right, and it also has a
>>> nice feature: it shows a progress bar showing how much time left to
>>> umount/sync your usb stick.
>>>

>> Is it possible that something is hanging on to the device?  Can you see any
>> possible cause in ksysguard?
>>
> I seem to remember Konqueror having a habit of hanging on to devices I
> had mounted and then accessed with it; I had to kill Konqueror to free them.
I get the message of the OP too. It tells me that unmounting was
successful but can't eject the device. When unmounting a CD it works
because it can eject the device, but not with usb sticks or external usb
harddrives. The unmounting IS successful, so nothing is blocking. dmesg
does not show anything.

This is not a system error, it's just an annoying message. I know myself
that usb sticks cannot be ejected. :-(

- Sascha