[kde-linux] Problems with KMail filters

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:10:37 UTC 2007

On Monday 09 July 2007 12:48:49 Gaffer. wrote:
> On Monday 09 July 2007 12:32, Anne Wilson inscribed thus:
> > >
> > > I can confirm this. Happens also when trying to expire a big
> > > folder. I don't do that often so I don't get the crash often.
> > > That's why I never looked deeper into it.
> >
> > The answer to this is almost certainly the same as that for
> > deleting or moving huge numbers of files - do them in batches.  I
> > find that trying to process 100 messages causes a crash.
> > Processing 50 doesn't.  I don't know where the limit is, but I
> > think I got as far as 70 being OK.
> >
> > Anne
>
> It would be nice to know what version & flavour this happens on !
> I am using Kmail 1.8.2 on SuSE 10.0 and don't seem to have this
> problem. However I don't keep any HTML mail at all ! If this matters.

This is KMail 1.9.6.  I think that I only encountered that after upgrading to
this version.  Part of the problem is the difficulty in tracing bugs, and
part is the fact the kde4 is just around the corner.  Most kde applications
are undergoing re-coding, which should deal with the problems caused by
legacy code and hard-to-trace bugs.  For the moment, if you do have the
problem, my solution will probably help you through.  kde4 is something
definitely to look forward to.