[kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 6 10:06:28 UTC 2007

On Friday 06 July 2007 10:01:09 david wrote:
> Jens Stroebel wrote:
> > As a side-note: when I first read this thread I already thought
> > "kmail speaks IMAP, set up an IMAP server and push them there, then
> > you can import them with any client", but thought it to maybe be too
> > much of an effort for migrating between mail-clients.
> > But regarding your usage-scenario, I'd do it.
>
> I've done that, and I'm no mail geek. Of course, that was Mercury/32,
> David Harris' excellent mail server for Win32 systems, which might be
> easier to set up than other mail servers.
>
> You could even set up your IMAP server on your own computer, and just
> keep your mail there. Then you could get it using any old mail client
> you felt like using or even just trying out ...

I wouldn't recommend running the imap server on your own computer, although
it's quite possible.  The mail clients sometimes do weird things in that
situation.  If you do want to set up imap, on whichever computer, dovecot is
an excellent server, and there is excellent documentation on their wiki.

You can, of course, use any mail client you wish, once that's set up - and you
don't have to stick to one if you don't want to.