[kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail

Peter Humphrey prh at gotadsl.co.uk
Thu Jul 5 11:30:44 UTC 2007

--------- Original Message --------
From: For people using KDE on Linux with related questions/problems
<kde-linux at kde.org>
To: For people using KDE on Linux with related questions/problems
<kde-linux at kde.org>
Subject: Re: [kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail
Date: 05/07/07 09:09

> On Thursday 05 July 2007 11:56:57 John Andersen wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > > Kmail stores its mail in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Don't ask
me why
> > > it's hidden, nor why kmail silently overrides any attempt to put
it
> > > elsewhere, but that's one reason why I want to change e-mail
client.

> > If that's the best reason you have for changing I suggest you are
> > on the wrong track.  Its not at all uncommon for kde applications
> > to store stuff in the "hidden" subdirectory structure.
> > Thunderbird does not have half the features or functionality of
Kmail.

> > Hidden is not an apt description.  Its hidden only in the sense
> > of keeping it out of your way.
> >
> > > When I start Thunderbird it offers to import mail, but only of
one type:
> > > Communicator 4.0. I assume that will not do.
> >
> > Kmail can import a gazillion different types of mail.  If you are
> > going to a package that can only deal with one type, does that
> > not tell you something?
>
> Besides, if you like to change the actual place mail is stored, you could
m=
> ake=20
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail a symbolic link to that other location

No: as I said, kmail overwrites it next time it runs. That was the first
thing I tried.

> =20
> could use the KMail config file as Jean-Philippe once pointed out:

I hadn't seen that before - thanks. Wouldn't it be nice if this sort of
thing were in the documentation?

> And yes - KMail is better than Thunderbird.

I thought so too the last time I compared them, but I wanted to check how
they compare now. I'll just stick with kmail if it's going to be too hard to
do.

--
Rgds
Peter.