[kde-linux] Exporting mails from kmail

Boyan Tabakov blade.alslayer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 09:08:00 UTC 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 11:56:57 John Andersen wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > Kmail stores its mail in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail. Don't ask me why
> > it's hidden, nor why kmail silently overrides any attempt to put it
> > elsewhere, but that's one reason why I want to change e-mail client.
>
> If that's the best reason you have for changing I suggest you are
> on the wrong track.  Its not at all uncommon for kde applications
> to store stuff in the "hidden" subdirectory structure.
> Thunderbird does not have half the features or functionality of Kmail.
>
> Hidden is not an apt description.  Its hidden only in the sense
> of keeping it out of your way.
>
> > When I start Thunderbird it offers to import mail, but only of one type:
> > Communicator 4.0. I assume that will not do.
>
> Kmail can import a gazillion different types of mail.  If you are
> going to a package that can only deal with one type, does that
> not tell you something?

Besides, if you like to change the actual place mail is stored, you could make
~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail a symbolic link to that other location. Or you
could use the KMail config file as Jean-Philippe once pointed out:

[QUOTE]
Can I configure the location of my mail folder?

  Exit KMail, make a backup of ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc, then open it with
an editor and add e.g. folders=/home/username/.mail to the “[General]”
section. Then move all your existing folders (including the hidden index
files) to the new location. The next time you start KMail will
use /home/username/.mail instead of /home/username/Mail. Note that KMail will
lose its filters if you change the mail folder's location but forget to move
your existing folders.
[END QUOTE]

And yes - KMail is better than Thunderbird.

--
Blade hails you...

A girl in the rain swearing to her father's name
                                     --Nightwish