[kde-linux] VM and Swap problems

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Mon Jan 29 20:24:04 UTC 2007

Randy Kramer wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 06:45 pm, david wrote:
>> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>>> My system has developed an odd problem.
>>>
>>> I have about 1 GByte of disk swap space and 7/16 GByte of RAM.
>>>
>>> The VM and swap work fine till the swap space is half full.  But, after
>>> swap is half full the system starts removing swap until it is exactly
>>> half full.  When this happens, the VM system starts to thrash and the
>>> system won't do anything till the thrashing stops.
>> Hmmm ... I'd suspect hardware problems. I have similar set up on my
>> laptop here (1GB swap, 768MB RAM) and haven't encountered that.
>
> I guess you've answered this, but just to be clear, do you ever/often get to
> the point of half your swap being in use?  At that point do you notice a
> difference in system behavior/response?

I've not encountered what you described above, but I've never
particularly checked to see how full or how much of swap space was in
use. There have been times when the drive activity light goes on and
stays on for several minutes. Sometimes that puts things on hold for
10-30 seconds (usually the software I use to work with 48-bit color
digital photos, once with The GIMP when I had 20 or so TIFF files open),
sometimes it just produces a general slowdown.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community