[kde-linux] VM and Swap problems

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Mon Jan 29 06:20:58 UTC 2007

Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> On Sunday 28 January 2007 18:33:39 Randy Kramer wrote:
>
>>> The VM and swap work fine till the swap space is half full.  But, after
>>> swap is half full the system starts removing swap until it is exactly
>>> half full.  When this happens, the VM system starts to thrash and the
>>> system won't do anything till the thrashing stops.
>
> 512Mb swap? That's a fair amount of swapspace, more than you should need for
> desktop use. Maybe one of your applications leak memory (I have a webpage
> that makes konqueror leak insane amount of memory). Try checking with top
> what applications use lots of memory.

I know what is using most of the space.  Each time you open another
window or tab in Konqueror, it needs a lot of memory.  So, if you open
half a dozen, or so, Konqueror windows each with half a dozen tabs, or
so, it uses a lot of memory which is swapped out.

What I need is to use over half of my swap space.

--
JRT