[kde-linux] Monitor power control by KDM

Dale dalek at exceedtech.net
Sat Jan 27 12:19:31 UTC 2007

Peter Humphrey wrote:
> This box runs 24 hours a day, except for those times when it's too noisy to
> leave running overnight, and it has an LCD screen which I'm happy to switch
> off when I'm not using it. Therefore I neither need nor want screen
> blanking or "saving" of any kind. I've managed to get KDE not to interfere
> once it's running, but if I start the system up from cold and am then
> distracted before logging in via KDM, by the time I get back I have a dead
> screen, and the only way out is a hard reset. When I did that this morning,
> during the boot-up reiserfsck found over 700 outstanding disk transactions.
> That makes me nervous.
>
> How do I prevent KDM from blanking my screen? I already have APM disabled in
> the kernel config.
>
> Thanks for any help you can offer.

I think if you remove the dpms option from xorg.conf that it will
disable the power off feature.  I know before I had that in my xorg.conf
file, my monitor would stay on.

May be worth checking on.  I would be wondering why it does that
though.  There may be more to it than just dpms.

Hope that helps.

Dale

--
www.myspace.com/dalek1967