[kde-linux] mouse pointer disappears

Richard Pace rpace at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 26 15:19:42 UTC 2007

On Friday 26 January 2007 05:15, Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> Em Quinta 25 Janeiro 2007 21:18, Richard Pace escreveu:
> > Hi:
> > Posted this on SuSE's list also.  No response yet.
> >
> > Running SuSE 10.2 on HP Pavilion AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor
> > 3800+. KDE 3.5.5 "release 45.2".
> >
> > My mouse pointer disappears every so often.  The mouse is still working,
> > so to speak - I just can't see it.  After the mouse pointer disappears,
> > using keyboard controls, I have tried changing personal settings in KDE
> > to a new mouse scheme.  That does not help.  Even restarting KDE does not
> > help.  So far, only a reboot restores the mouse pointer.
> >
> > Comments appreciated.
>
> Is your video card an nvidia one? If so, there's a bug in nvidia driver
> that causes exactly this problem with some nvidia cards (not all). The
> workaround is to disable hardware cursor in xorg.conf.
> Add the following line in the device section for your video card:
> Option "HWCursor" "off"
Yes, it is an nvidia card.  Here is the device section from xorg.conf:
Section "Device"
  BoardName    "GeForce 6150 LE"
  BusID        "0:5:0"
  Driver       "nv"
  Identifier   "Device[0]"
  Screen       0
  VendorName   "NVidia"
EndSection

Is absence of "HWCursor" the same as "HWCursor" "off".  In SuSE, Yast builds
this file.  There is an "options" button where I can select "HWCusor" which
adds "HWCursor" to the Device section.   Is the driver default "HWCusor"
so that I need to explicitly edit xorg.conf and add "HWCursor" "off"?

Richard